welcome to the second part of my Sigur Ros - Med Sud i Eyrum video blog
I want to use this as a chance for me to talk about some of the processes I went through while creating the piece, I hope it might inspire you to make something beautiful:
This arrangement marks my first arrangement to be made entirely by ear. I know it sounds basic, but for those who know and studied with me in music school, you'd understand how big of a deal this is! I made the arrangement actually 1 year ago for one of my students. The project never picked up. However, recently I was jamming along side it feeling sorry for my self for not playing guitar, and boom I was playing intense strumming chords for 2 hours straight...the end result can be heard towards the end of the video.
The recording process was straight forward. I followed a friend's advice and put the microphone 15-20 cms from fret 14. I was using Roland R05 portable microphone (quality right?). Low budget, but I am very happy with the result.
I edited my audio with Cubase 6, I had about 20 layers in total...some were reversed, harmony, percussion, etc. The editing I made was reversing, time stretching, compression, reverb, and panning. I believe some of the harmony had phasers but nothing crazy.
I also decided to add birds as a last touch, I felt they belonged there between transitions and "empty" spaces. I feel their tweets fill the space quiet nicely. source: my garden!!!
can your ears also pick up my pillow scratches? I did this 2 years ago and I believe that track was used in a horror short film for a student project. I loved the effect, I used it in the spots where I needed some rhythmic punch and variety, to fill some empty panning, and to give an overall depth to the piece. I think it worked out quiet nicely !
I wanted to make a video using a line as a divider where the two films interact with each other. I got the idea from this tutorial. Long story short, I layer two videos on top of each other and edit each on its own. get crazy and you'll end up with 88 layers, 33 video shots using 6 different angles using one camera ! this process would have been a lot faster if I had an assistant and multiple cameras...working on a budget is awesome ! you can donate on my site btw!! the money would go towards that purpose >_>
The idea for the colors was inspired by this sign language video
The shots them selves were taken by using 4 different shirts from which you can only see 3. The technique (which I did not know at the time but now painfully know) is to shoot the video with clear lighting, and VERY smart decision about what colors to use for what purpose.
Being the noob I am I recorded shots in a YELLOW lit room with a YELLOW SHIRT. problem: the yellow light reflects on your naturally yellowish skin color. making the effect of isolating color for the shirt only a near impossible mission.
I also did the crime of recording a video with purple and red shirt. The red turned out to be so useless its out of the picture, but the Purple was used. Problem: so many items in the room are red and purple. Basically anything brown (Hello, it is a guitar video, and I am an arab!). editing these was so painful!
So how did I get to edit the colors so they stay on my shirt but not on anything else?
watch the how its made video here
I had to sit down, and in 5 days, draw a "mask" manually on each frame to block out where the excess color is. Without going into too much detail, I was Walt Disney for 5 days of my life (those who are fans of old cartoons would get it).
now, a second has 24 frames for the human eyes to see it properly. Do the math for 4 minutes and 51 seconds. you'll end up with 5700 frames ish..that is because my final output was in 24 frames. the original recording was done with 30 frames per second so if the math is correct and AE doesn't lie, it should equal 8700+ frames. If not, I apologize !
well..that is about it !! I really hope you watch the "how its made video"...its really cool !!
These are short comments I post as I navigate through waters.